Pediatric Residency Program at K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital
A Message from the Program Director
Welcome to the Pediatric Residency Program at K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, the region’s most comprehensive pediatric program. I’m excited to introduce you to the many ways our program trains the next generation of pediatricians and invite you to learn more. Our program successfully prepares our residents to be proficient general pediatricians who can provide comprehensive and coordinated care to a broad range of pediatric patients.
At K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital, we feel that our residents are the strongest part of our program. We currently participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and select nine residents each year. Our diverse group of outstanding residents is not only medically knowledgeable but dedicated to delivering the highest standards of clinical and interpersonal care. As a result, they are accepted into exceptional fellowships and primary care professional settings across the country. Our residency program has dedicated support from hospital faculty and administration, which drives a very collegial and supportive educational process.
Our program’s size allows our residents to develop hands-on experience and close working relationships and our faculty-advisor system ensures every resident has a mentor who provides clear assistance. We also offer protected time for our educational curriculum, a new state-of-the-art simulation laboratory at HOPE Tower and a comprehensive resident wellness program.
As part of the new Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine, we have the advantages of a large academic program in the setting of an outstanding community-based training program. Medical students rotate in our program throughout the year, and our residents play an integral role in teaching. Our affiliation with Hackensack University Medical Center also provides our residents additional opportunities in, rheumatology, dermatology and genetics. Additionally, our residents participate in research and scholarly activities throughout their training and consistently achieve top awards in Jersey Shore’s annual Research Day.
Our residents are trained in the ACGME core competencies: patient care, medical knowledge, interpersonal and communication skills, practice-based learning and improvement, professionalism and systems-based practice. Consequently, each child with medical need — be it a new concern, a chronic problem, or an obscure diagnosis — can come through our front door and receive outstanding care and compassion from our residents. Finally, the Jersey Shore is a wonderful place to live and work. We are in full compliance with ACGME duty hour requirements, allowing our residents to enjoy the benefits of working one mile from the beach, an hour south of Manhattan, and 80 minutes east of Philadelphia. As a result, many of our residents stay in the area long term. This is also a thriving and active community, which makes our work so important, effective, and fulfilling.
Thank you so much for your interest in the Pediatric Residency Program at K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital. Please take the time to explore our website, review our program and visit again for new updates. We hope you find all the information you want and invite you to call the department at 732-776-3805 or by email.
Ilana Torine, DO
Program Director, Pediatric Residency Program
Clinical Assistant Professor – HMH School of Medicine
Ilana Torine, DO
Residency Program Director, Pediatrics
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Watch our Program Overview Video
Welcome to the Pediatric Residency Program at K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, NJ.
The mission of our Pediatric Residency Training Program at Jersey Shore University Medical Center / K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital is to prepare our residents to be competent general pediatricians, able to provide comprehensive and coordinated care to a broad range of pediatric patients. We strive to achieve gender, racial and ethnic diversity and equity among the faculty, residents and staff reflective of the diversity in our society.
Our additional goals are:
- To develop residents that are reflective pediatricians as well as caring child advocates interested in care management.
- To emphasize the competencies and skills needed by our residents to practice general pediatrics of high quality in the community.
- To allow our residents to leave our program with a basic understanding of research methodology and evidence-based medicine.
- To enable our residents to become sufficiently familiar with the fields of sub-specialty pediatrics to participate as team members in the care of patients with chronic and complex disorders.
- To give our residents the opportunity to participate as team members in both the inpatient and ambulatory settings.
- To allow our residents to become competent as leaders in the organization and management of patient care.
- To foster resident interest and ability in life-long learning.
Furthermore, in aligning with our Institution’s mission of transforming care, we encourage our residents and faculty to emulate the 4 C’s- Creative, Compassionate, Collaborative and Courageous.
The goals to achieve our mission statement includes:
- Offering a wide variety of exposure to diverse patient population and pathology in the inpatient as well as outpatient setting.
- Individualized curriculum to fit individual needs of our trainees.
- Having structured curriculum for scholarly activities.
- Having dedicated faculty who inspire residents and students to stimulate intellectual curiosity and delivering high value care.
- Having faculty development sessions on teaching and feedback.
- Dedicated mentoring by faculty advisors.
- Having wellness curriculum for both residents and faculty to combat burnout.
On behalf of our faculty, we are committed to offering our residents an exceptional experience in their training and shaping their career in pediatrics. We are happy you are considering our training program and we look forward to hearing from you.
K. Hovnanian Children’s Hospital at Jersey Shore University Medical Center houses state-of-the-art facilities giving residents access to the tools and resources they need to achieve their educational and professional goals.
- 9 residents per year
- On-site fully renovated Ronald McDonald Room
- 45-bed inpatient unit
- One of the top 50 Children’s Hospitals for cancer nationwide, ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Earned top 50 rankings in the Annual U.S. News’ 2020-2021 Best Children’s Hospital report.
- 10-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- 35-bed Level III – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- 10-12 bed dedicated Pediatric Emergency Department, open 24/7 –
- Pediatric Sedation Service led by the Critical Care team
- Pediatric Subspecialist – home to outpatient offices of our pediatric specialists in Neurology, Development, Hematology/Oncology, Pulmonology, Endocrinology, Infectious Disease and Gastroenterology
- Full team of Certified Child Life Specialists