Lend a Hand
More than 3,000 volunteers give their time each week at Hackensack Meridian Health‘s hospitals. Yet, we still need more people who are willing to lend a hand.
People choose to volunteer for many reasons:
- Socialize with a variety of people
- Obtain on-the-job experience
- Participate in community events
- Care for patients or help caregivers
- Give something back to the community
- Serve with a dedicated and caring team
- To make a difference!
While it is our privilege to have so many dedicated people volunteering throughout Hackensack Meridian Health, there are some requirements that our volunteers must meet.
Each volunteer must agree to:
- Maintain hospital and patient confidentiality
- Comply with uniform dress code
- Attend an orientation prior to training
- Submit a health questionnaire and medical forms from a physician before volunteering
- Comply with educational components as required by regulatory agencies
Hackensack Meridian Health provides students with the opportunity to serve their community. Junior volunteers can work with patients directly, such as assisting caregivers on medical surgical units, delivering flowers, and helping with food services, the gift shop, or pre-admission paperwork. They can also perform duties that do not require patient involvement, like clerical tasks, working at the information desk, and assisting in the pharmacy.
Junior volunteers must:
- Check with the hospital for age regulations
- Fill out an application, which includes a parental consent and student evaluation form
- Complete a health questionnaire and have it signed by a family physician or pediatrician before training
- Make a six-month commitment of approximately 12 hours a month
One of the nice things about volunteering is that it allows individuals to bring their own life experiences and special talents to their volunteer positions.
Hackensack Meridian Health’s goal is to match each volunteer’s needs and interests with the position that is right for him or her. Opportunities are endless and vary from hospital to hospital.
Examples of Services Offered Throughout Hackensack Meridian Health:
- Clerical:Typing, copying, and answering phones in a number of departments.
- Courier: Delivering inter-departmental mail and pharmacy orders.
- Customer Relations: Visiting and assisting patients who have infrequent guests.
- Day Care: Reading, helping with meal times, and assisting with activities.
- Emergency Room: Assisting staff as needed in a fast-paced environment.
- Gift Shop: Serving as salesperson, taking inventories, and wrapping gifts.
- Information Desk: Providing general and patient information at the main desk.
- Pastoral Care: Assisting staff, which may involve informing patients of the availability of the pastor’s services.
- Patient Aides: Distributing water to patients, assisting in menu selections and feedings, and running errands.
- Supportive Care: Assisting hospital oncology patients (specialized training course required).
- Surgical Department: Comforting patients, assisting staff with clerical needs, and serving as a liaison between staff, family, and friends in waiting area.
- Transportation: Taking patients by wheelchair through admitting and discharge procedures and to hospital testing areas.