Certified Nurse Midwives
About Our Certified Nurse Midwifery Program
Jersey Shore University Medical Center is proud to provide our Certified Nurse Midwifery services to those wishing for an alternative childbirth experience. In addition, Jersey Shore is the only hospital in the area offering "water birth" options for women.
A certified nurse midwife (CNM) is a registered nurse who has graduated from an advanced education program accredited by the American College of Nurse Midwives. By blending years of personal and professional wisdom with advanced techniques, CNM's are able to deliver a range of high quality care.
A widespread misconception about nurse midwives is that they are only present during pregnancy and childbirth. The truth however, is that nurse midwives are able to offer the same attention and care to women who are not pregnant.
The CNM has the knowledge and clinical skills to perform all of the following obstetrical/gynecology services:
- Physical exams
- Prenatal care
- Well-woman gynecological care
- Care throughout labor and birth
- Prescribing medications
- Order laboratory tests
- Health education and counseling
The Midwifery program at Jersey Shore has developed a philosophy of care we believe is the best model of health care for women and their families.
This philosophy consists of:
- Promoting a continuous and compassionate partnership
- Incorporating individualized methods of care and healing guided by the best evidence available
- Offering Hydrotherapy in the form of showers, a labor tub or water birth as alternative pain relievers
- Believing in the use of watchful waiting and non intervention in normal processes
- The appropriate use of interventions and technology to treat current or potential health problems
- Consult and collaborate with other members of our health care team to continually provide optimum care
- Encouraging patients to utilize educational methods such as hypnobirthing, bradley or other natural birthing classes to help women achieve their desired non-intervention/medicated birth
Meet Our Certified Nurse Midwives
|Patricia Brown, R.N., CNM||Louise Dowling-Krall, M.S.N., CNM||Leslie Meneguzzo, R.N., M.S.N., CNM|
Care LocationsThe Center for Women's Health - 43 Main Street, Suite 1A, Avon, NJ 07717
The Center for Women's Health - 525 Route 70, Suite 2A, Brick, NJ 08723
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-DOCTORS