Cardiac Rehabilitation Care
About Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Care Program
Jersey Shore's Cardiac Rehabilitation Program provides a range of recovery and post-recovery services to speed your recuperation, minimize your symptoms, increase your cardiovascular endurance, and improve your quality of life.
In order to be admitted to the cardiac rehab program, you'll need to get a physician referral and possibly take an exercise test. Your physician will prescribe your program according to your individual needs and health care protocols.
You may be eligible for cardiac rehabilitation if you:
- are recovering from a heart transplant, heart attack (myocardial infarction), coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG), valve surgery, angioplasty (PTCA), or atherectomy (DCA).
- have angina pectoris, hypertension, congestive heart failure (CHF), or cardiomyopathy.
- have cardiovascular risk factors, such as smoking, obesity, stress, sedentary lifestyle, high cholesterol and triglycerides, diabetes, or electrocardiogram abnormalities along with any of the above diagnoses.
The program consists of four components:
- Telemetry monitoring - constant monitoring of heart rhythm.
- Medically supervised exercise - designed to help improve the function and condition of your cardiovascular system. The exercise component is comprised of eight patients or less, and includes monitored exercise sessions several days a week for several weeks.
- Education - including a series of lectures covering the benefits of exercise, nutrition, signs and symptoms to be aware of, cardiac medications, relaxation techniques, and coping with stress. (Spouses or significant others are encouraged to attend these lectures with the patient.)
- Ongoing support - As an example, our Mended Heart program helps patients recovering from cardiac conditions learn how to cope and gain comfort through shared experiences.
Through these services and resources, our program will help you:
- Reduce risk factors associated with coronary artery disease.
- Attain and maintain high levels of energy and endurance to improve your quality of life.
- Focus on healthy meal planning, exercise, stress management, medications, weight loss, smoking cessation, and health maintenance.
- Adhere to a customized fitness program that will last a lifetime.
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center, 1945 Route 33, Neptune, NJ 07753
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-DOCTORS or 1-800-560-9990.